Sorbet is something that the Thermomix does extremely well. It's also something that I haven't made a lot of. Now that I've made pineapple sorbet this afternoon, I cannot understand the lack of sorbet making activities in this house. The texture is simply divine. Smooth, creamy, melt in your mouth. And when combined with the creamy, coconut icecream, the taste transports me away to a remote tropical island where the water gently laps at my toes as I lie on the beach in the shade of a palm tree...
Pina Colada Icecream
- Coconut Icecream
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 250 grams milk
- 300 mls cream
- ½ cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 5 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300 mls cream, additional
- Pineapple Sorbet
- 150 grams sugar
- 300 grams pineapple, frozen in chunks
- 350 grams ice
- 1 egg white
1. Place coconut in TM bowl and cook for 7 minutes at 100ºC, speed 1. Add milk, cream, sugar, salt and scraped vanilla bean. Warm through at 80ºC for 5 minutes on speed 1. Pour into thermoserver and allow to rest for 1 hour.
2. Strain coconut mixture back into TM bowl using a fine sieve and start mixing at speed 4. Add the egg yolks one at a time. Set temp to 80ºC for 5 minutes, speed 4. Add the cream and vanilla extract and mix for an additional 30 seconds on speed 3. Cool mixture in refrigerator. Once cool, churn in icecream maker.
3. For sorbet, place sugar in TM bowl and pulverise on speed 10 for 8 seconds. Add pineapple, ice and egg white. Bring speed slowly up to speed 10 and use spatula to incorporate all pineapple and ice, will take at least 1 minute.
4. Once icecream and sorbet are both ready, place into large bowl and fold/swirl together. Spoon into an appropriate storage container and place in the freezer. Alternatively, layer each flavour into the container, or mix it through completely. Up to you!