Anyway, back to now. I was very nervous when I read the phrase "Bake at 200ºC for 50 minutes". 50 minutes???? Dry banana bread...it haunts me...
I did what I was told. I got quite anxious when I saw the top of the loaf go such a dark brown it nearly looked black. (On a side note, it was 10pm at this stage, so I was quite possibly not looking straight). I left it to cool under a tea towel until this morning when I had the grand unveiling.
Cafe Banana Bread with Coconut
- 2 cups SR Flour, (300g)
- ¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed (160g)
- ½ cup coconut, (40g)
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup milk
- 100 grams butter, melted
- 2 eggs, gently whisked
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC. Brush deep loaf pan with melted butter to lightly grease.
2. THERMOMIX: Melt butter for 50 seconds at 60ºC on speed 4. Add the eggs, milk and banana in chunks and mix for 5 seconds on speed 7. Add the flour, sugar, coconut and bicarb and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4 + reverse. Use the spatula to make sure all the flour is incorporated from the top edges.
3. OR: Place the flour, sugar, coconut and bicarb in a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined. Using a mixing spoon, combine the banana, milk, butter and eggs in a mixing bowl. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
4. Pour the mixture into the deep loaf pan and smooth the surface for even baking. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the bread comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.